Some good news stories coming out of the opening session of the SVC2UK Summit this afternoon:
- 2019 saw a record investment in technology of more than £10 billion
- 2.9 million people in the UK are employed in digital technology (approx.10% of the UK working population)
- Whilst the pandemic initially presented uncertainty, stability in the tech sector soon kicked in and we are now seeing increasing growth
- One positive to come out of the crisis is that it has boosted innovation opportunities – particularly in relation to new digital consumer behaviours – who knew that 6 million people (12% of the UK adult population) downloaded a banking app for the first time during the first lockdown?
- There is definitely an appetite to ‘build back better’, and in a more sustainable fashion, which presents a great opportunity for start up and scale up companies across the UK.
As well as some great discussion around digital networking, the importance of building connections and collaboration, it has been great to hear about a couple of initiatives designed to help the next generation of entrepreneurs, including
Digital Boost (https://www.digitalboost.org.uk/) – a platform for small companies and organisations to connect with digital experts and One Million Mentors (https://www.onemillionmentors.org.uk/) – a mentoring project helping young people to grow the knowledge, networks, skills and confidence they need to succeed.
For more insight from the SVC2UK Summit being held this week, do follow events at #SVC2UK